A groups type was changed
On this page
A group's type or scope was changed by Subject:.
AD has 2 types of groups: Security and Distribution. Distribution (security disabled) groups are for distribution lists in Exchange and cannot be assigned permissions or rights. Security (security enabled) groups can be used for permissions, rights and as distribution lists.
No matter what type the group was before or after the change this event is always logged as subcategory "Security Group Management".
AD has 3 scopes of groups: Local, Global, Universal. See knowledge base article 326265.
The ID and logon session of the user that changed the policy - always the local system - see note above.
- Security ID: The SID of the account.
- Account Name: The account logon name.
- Account Domain: The domain or - in the case of local accounts - computer name.
- Logon ID is a semi-unique (unique between reboots) number that identifies the logon session. Logon ID allows you to correlate backwards to the logon event (4624) as well as with other events logged during the same logon session.
Change Type: type scope Group Changed to type scope Group.
- Security ID: The SID of the affected group
- Group Name: Name of affected group
- Group Domain: Domain of affected group
Top 10 Windows Security Events to Monitor
A group’s type was changed.
Security ID: ACME\administrator
Account Name: administrator
Account Domain: ACME
Logon ID: 0x30999
Change Type: Security Enabled Global Group Changed to Security Enabled Universal Group.
Security ID: ACME\Dharma Institute Employees
Group Name: Dharma Institute Employees
Group Domain: ACME
Keep me up-to-date on the Windows Security Log.
*We will NOT share this